Reflections: Interracial dating

• Audrey Nichols - Freshman - Chemistry major - “I don’t see why there would be a problem with interracial dating. We’re all people, so date who you want. Color shouldn’t matter.” (Benjamin Wilks)
  • Crystal Zabel - Junior - Education major - “I personally do not have a problem with interracial dating as I am in an interracial relationship. To me, the color of the person’s skin should not be a factor in the way we look at someone. The purpose of dating is to find love. If a person finds love in someone, then we should support them.” (Benjamin Wilks)
  • Kimberly Johnson - Senior - Criminal justice major - “I don’t really care about interracial dating. I feel like if two people like each other and are dating, regardless of their skin, then that is their business. No one else should care as long as they are happy." (Benjamin Wilks)
  • Geanina Liston - Freshman - Major undecided - "Dating is dating. There should be no one looking down at others because they are not of the same race. Couples need to not let society tell them what is right or wrong. If you love someone, race should not be an issue because at the end of the day, there will be that one person who makes you the most happy. In today’s society, people want to get into everyone’s business. Don’t let conformity choose for you; love who you want to love." (Benjamin Wilks)

Benjamin Wilks, Sports Editor
April 24, 2014

The Mirror asked what Lakeland students thought about interracial dating. Here are their responses:

Audrey Nichols
Freshman
Chemistry major

“I don’t see why there would be a problem with interracial dating. We’re all people, so date who you want. Color shouldn’t matter.”

Crystal Zabel
Junior
Education major

“I personally do not have a problem with interracial dating as I am in an interracial relationship. To me, the color of the person’s skin should not be a factor in the way we look at someone. The purpose of dating is to find love. If a person finds love in someone, then we should support them.”

Kimberly Johnson
Senior
Criminal justice major

“I don’t really care about interracial dating. I feel like if two people like each other and are dating, regardless of their skin, then that is their business. No one else should care as long as they are happy.”

Geanina Liston
Freshman
Major undecided

“Dating is dating. There should be no one looking down at others because they are not of the same race. Couples need to not let society tell them what is right or wrong. If you love someone, race should not be an issue because at the end of the day, there will be that one person who makes you the most happy. In today’s society, people want to get into everyone’s business. Don’t let conformity choose for you; love who you want to love.”

Comments

One Response to “Reflections: Interracial dating”

1. George on April 24th, 2014 7:15 am

Many youngsters say they are for IR but most, particularly younger white and black women have not engage in one according to statistics.

[Reply]

The Lakeland Mirror editors invite readers to comment on all articles. Comments will be moderated by editors. Inappropriate or libelous comments will not be published.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

*